The Capital Adventures of David Inglis

A magical journey through Edinburgh and the Lothians

Friday, 12 June 2015

Ryan's Pub Reviews - Shakespeares

SHAKESPEARE'S, LOTHIAN ROAD
Pint of Lager - £3.38
Another one of those familiar places you've passed for years but never bothered to venture into. Situated right beside the Usher Hall, I was taken aback by the sheer size of the place upon entering. It is massive and has endless tables, chairs, benches and sofas all spread evenly over its huge, impressive interior.

If you are looking for sport and/or entertainment then you are in luck, five large televisions situated above the bar and beyond and five games machines sit on the back wall also. Quiz nights and a karaoke were also well advertised on chalkboards throughout.

An extensive food menu was on the table and despite it looking rather tasty for a decent price, I opted for a bag of roasted nuts instead. Happy to say the toilets were much more up to standard in this venue and I also enjoyed a bit of footy banter with a fellow footy fan inside. Indeed, the only real downside was the drink.

Similar to Fiddlers Arms, it was dry and fairly tasteless. And despite it being a cheaper and unusual price ( the barman was unsure why) it was not what I was craving. Shame as it was poured by a very polite young gentleman who I engaged in conversation with for over five minutes. He seemed genuinely interested in the journey I was undertaking and also strongly recommended a steak house on Rose Street that his friend worked in.

Just a shame the drink was so bad as this place had potential to be a 10.
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment