The Capital Adventures of David Inglis

A magical journey through Edinburgh and the Lothians

Wednesday, 10 June 2015

In Search of the Perfect Fish and Chips - Alanda's

ALANDA'S, HIGH STREET, PRESTONPANS



So, I made the decision this week to extend the boundaries of my fish and chip visits to East and Midlothian. My home town of Musselburgh, however, wont be getting any visits as I know very well that the fish served in the chippy's here is awful. So, Prestonpans it was tonight and Alanda's, right beside the beach at the bottom of the town.

It was quite possibly the longest wait I've ever had for a fish supper ( close to 10 minutes ) but I was pleasantly impressed. The food was exceptionally fresh and as hot as the blistering June sunshine which shone down. The chips were a mixed bag, some nice and crispy, others not so, a frustratingly inconsistent mix but the good ones were really good. As for my fish, it seemed to have just a little bit too much butter mix which slightly spoiled the taste, although was still enjoyable.

A few little tweaks to the recipe and they could have a real winner here. The shop itself is spacious and also serves ice cream, particularly handy on nights like this evening, and the two female staff remained pleasant despite it being quite hectic.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment