The Capital Adventures of David Inglis

A magical journey through Edinburgh and the Lothians

Friday, 22 May 2015

The Galleon

THE GALLEON, PORTOBELLO HIGH ST
Pint of Lager - £3.00
Not only is this the worst pub in Portobello, this is the worst pub of my entire journey so far.

Dark, gloomy and unwelcoming, and that's just from the outside. As I politely asked for my usual pint of Tennents at the bar, the spectacled barmaid did not utter a single word, not even the price of the drink I was ordering. The inside is small and dank and in serious need of some tlc. What looked like some leftover Xmas decorations were hanging lifelessly underneath the far ceiling, only adding to the air of depression. A single television sits high on the far wall, but at such an awkward position that I can't even recommend coming here for the footy.

The only saving grace was my drink which was actually ok, and not overly expensive. As for the patrons? The pub was near empty apart from a group of middle aged men huddled in the far corner. They occasionally seemed to make funny noises at each other every so often and laugh hysterically. Whether the language they were speaking was English or not, I genuinely couldn't tell you.

3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment