I recently went through the joyous experience of upgrading to Windows 10 on two different machines - a Vostro 1720 and a Targa desktop. I expected this process to take a day or two tops but in the manner of most IT projects it overran.
Initial Screens
When they tell you that going through the process is relatively quick, it really isn't with a 1-2 hour download time and with a pause at each step to make sure you haven't fallen asleep it takes even longer. I managed to capture some screenshots of the process in between my naps.
After it had finished moving all of the files about and completed the upgrade process, you are offered the option to sign all of your details over to Microsoft. I'm not sure why they need to know if I am playing Solitaire at work but they would like to use that information to sell me more Solitaire related products.
My first surprise followed shortly on my Vostro when I was shown a rather nice black screen. Fearing for the worst, as from what I understand some graphics manufacturers haven't updated their drivers yet, I turned the machine off and on again by pressing the off button. Thankfully Windows had decided to save me from myself and remapped the off button to be Sleep Mode.
I was finally able to login after figuring out I could Ctrl + Alt + Delete out of it and restart the machine. My second surprise was that Windows had decided that speaking British English wasn't enough for it. My keyboard should be American English and the rest of the options should be British English.
After I had managed to get around the barriers Microsoft had put in my way, I was finally able to login and start deconstructing the vast array of Privacy settings I had to deactivate. I won't bore you with the details, but here are a few links with instructions on what to turn off:







No comments:
Post a Comment