The Capital Adventures of David Inglis

A magical journey through Edinburgh and the Lothians

Monday, 20 July 2015

Ryan's Pub Reviews - The Halfway House

THE HALFWAY HOUSE, FLESHMARKET CLOSE
Pint of Lager - £3.60


Tucked halfway (ironically) down a side street connecting Market Street and the Royal Mile, this place could be identified as part of my inspiration for the entire pub crawl journey. After a visit back in 2012, I spotted an Edinburgh and Lothians pub crawl poster on the wall and thought it might be fun to try one day. Said poster is still on the wall today although at £4.70 to purchase, I settled for a cheeky snapshot instead. Inside, the Halfway House is small, really small and even on this dreich afternoon, with around 20 patrons present it did feel a tad cramped. Its cosy though, a living room type atmosphere with comfortable seating and a small television. Everyone seemed friendly and courteous and around half were tourists. I struck up a conversation with the elderly barman and although mildly eccentric, he seemed genuinely enthusiastic about what I was doing and gave me the usual glowing recommendations and 'stay the fuck away from that place' warnings. He got it bang on though when he glanced at my Tennents and said "Why do you drink that shite for?" It certainly wasn't the best pint I'd ever had. A nice place overall then, but the claustrophobic and those looking for private chat may want to venture elsewhere.


7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment