The Capital Adventures of David Inglis

A magical journey through Edinburgh and the Lothians

Monday, 27 July 2015

A quest to find the perfect Fish and Chips - The Gold Sea

The Gold Sea - Ferry Road
Price: £7.10 (Supper)
After a 40 minute nerve wracking walk through the back end of Leith, we finally arrived at our target.  The front of the shop was huge, although the inside does not utilise it fully.  They could have seats inside.

We were served by a straight to the point lady, who had no banter whatsoever.  She was very helpful though and offered us some forks for our meal.  Due to the lack of seating, we perched on a nearby wall next to the recently hit Scotbet shop.  To summarise the news article, a man walked into the shop, handed the man behind the counter a note stating "“Be quiet, fill this bag with money or I’ll shoot you in the face. Chop, Chop".  The gentleman then pointed a handgun at the shop keepers chest.  Our gallant shop keeper responded by tearing up the note and instructing the gentleman to shoot him in the arm to get some compensation.  Such was the the atmosphere in the area.

Back to my meal, I tucked in but was largely unimpressed.  The fish was the size of a baby shark, however was quite tasteless and oily.  The chips were a decent standard but did not compare to our gold standard of L'Alba Dora.  I spent a good 20 minutes picking away at my meal while Ryan didn't enjoy his enough and fed some of it to the seagulls that were circling.

While we were eating, there seemed to be some hilarity with a group of youths just across the road from us.  Fortunately when we went back to get our pudding, they had left.  The pudding was a Deep Fried Mars Bar - my first and an experience I found better than sex!

This was a mixed bag for me, what with being on edge and having my first Deep Fried Mars Bar.    Overall I don't think I will be in a hurry to go back.

On average:
5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment